|Same as design|
|June 7th, 2013|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
(101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares)
Development code name
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Dragon's Maze||Modern Masters||Magic 2014|
Modern Masters is a 229 card set consisting of reprints of cards originally printed between Eighth Edition and Alara Reborn. Thus every card is legal in the Modern format and other formats in which the sets are legal from which the cards originate. It was designed to fill the need of reprinting certain cards to make them more easily available to current or prospective Modern players, without re-introducing those cards into Standard. The set also does not contain any cards which are on the banned list of the Modern format at the time of its design.
Modern Masters is exclusively booster-based, thus no satellite products such as Preconstructed decks are branded with the set. Each booster contains 15 playable cards: 10 commons, 3 uncommons and one rare or mythic rare, and one foil card of any rarity replacing the basic land which would normally be found in a booster as Modern Masters does not contain a run of basic lands. Due to the higher expected average value of the cards contained in a booster and the lower print run, the MSRP of one booster of Modern Masters is set to $6.99 (with the MSRP of a booster of the current draft set being $3.49). Due to the higher MSRP booster displays only contain 24 packs, which is also the number required for a regular draft (three boosters for each of eight players), as the set was designed specifically for draft. A number of cards also change rarity from their original printing as mythic rare wasn't introduced until the Alara block, and/or receive new artwork. The set also contains new never before printed tokens, such as a 1/1 black Bat token with flying.
The set will only be printed in English, though it will be distributed worldwide.
- Tarmogoyf, at one point one of the most expensive cards in the Modern format and one of the most desired reprints by players, is included in the set as a Mythic rare with new artwork in the current frame (as opposed to the future shifted frame it was originally printed in).
- Dark Confidant, a card designed by Bob Maher and a staple in both Modern and Legacy; originally printed in Ravnica: City of Guilds, printed in Modern Masters as a mythic rare with new art.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Rich Hagon and Aaron Forsythe. (October 20, 2012.) "Video Feature: Announcing Modern Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. "Did "Modern Masters" have a code name? How about the Commander precons or Planechase and Archenemy?", Blogatog, Tumblr. (December 9, 2012.)
- ↑ Monty Ashley. (October 22, 2012.) "Announcing Modern Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Magic products · Magic: The Gathering sets · Regular Magic sets|
|Special series and sets|
|Duel Decks (list of Duel Decks sets) • From the Vault (list of From the Vault sets) • Premium Deck Series (list of Premium Deck Series decks) •"Command Zone" sets: Vanguard, Planechase, Planechase (2012), Archenemy, Commander, Commander's Arsenal|
| • Box sets: Anthologies, Battle Royale, Beatdown, Deck Builder's Toolkit, Deck Builder's Toolkit 2011, Deckmasters 2001, Multiverse Gift Box, Rivals Quick Start Set, Vanguard Gift Box|
• Reprint sets: Chronicles, Modern Masters, Renaissance
• Un-sets: Unglued, Unhinged
• Commemorative sets: Collectors' Edition, International Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship Decks
• Digital sets: Astral, Sega Dreamcast Game Cards
|Magic Online sets|
|Magic Online Deck Series: Exiler, Boltslinger • Masters Editions: Masters Edition, Masters Edition II, Masters Edition III, Masters Edition IV • Other: Commander Theme Decks|