|Magic: The Gathering 2014 Core Set|
|The letter "M" and the number "14"|
|Mark Globus (lead),|
Ken Troop[note 1]
|Dave Guskin (lead)|
With contributions from
|July 19, 2013|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
(101 Commons, 60 Uncommons, 53 Rares, 15 Mythic Rares, 20 Basic Land)
Development code name
|Magic 2013||Magic 2014||Magic 2015|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Modern Masters||Magic 2014||Deck Builder's Toolkit 2014|
Magic: The Gathering 2014 Core Set, commonly referred to as Magic 2014 or M14 is the 15th Magic core set. It will be released in July, 2013. Even more than the previous set, Magic 2014 is strongly integrated with the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers. Prerelease Events take place July 13-14, 2013. Game Day takes place on August 10-11, 2013. In celebration of Magic's 20th anniversary, the logo of the set has the mythic orange / bronze color instead of the usual yellow or blue.
|“||Ignite your spark||”|
The set puts the spotlight on Chandra. This means a new Planeswalker card aimed at making a splash in Constructed, many Chandra-themed support cards, and flavor throughout the set attached to her persona.
- Prerelease: Megantic Sliver
- Launch promo: Colossal Whale
- Game Day: full-art Hive Stirrings
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art Goblin Diplomats
- Core set league: alternate art 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token
- Buy-a-Box: Ratchet Bomb
arranged by #/13:
- 1/1 colorless Sliver produced by Hive Stirrings.
- 4/4 Angel with flying produced by Angelic Accord and Devout Invocation..
- 2/2 Cat produced by Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Ajani's Chosen.
- 0/1 Goat produced by Trading Post.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Liliana's Reaver, Vile Rebirth and Xathrid Necromancer
- 2/2 Dragon produced by Dragon Egg.
- 1/1 Elemental (two versions) produced by Molten Birth and Young Pyromancer.
- 3/3 Beast produced by Primeval Bounty.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Sporemound.
- 2/2 Wolf produced by Howl of the NIght Pack
- emblem for Garruk, Caller of Beasts.
- emblem for Liliana of the Dark Realms.
With the release of Magic 2014, several rules changes are implemented within the game. The rules changes were subject to a specific article by Sam Stoddard to place them in the context flavor and the rules decision making.
- The 'Legend rule' is changed. Legendary permanents of the same name and Planeswalker cards of the same type are now only placed into the graveyard if they are controlled by the same player. For example, if player A controls a Jace Beleren and player B controls Jace, the Mind Sculptor, nothing happens when before both cards would be placed into the graveyard. However, if player A had control of both, that player will choose one of those cards and that card will be placed in the graveyard will the other remains.
- Sideboards in constructed play now can contain up to 15 cards, rather than the rule of either 15 or 0 cards before. Also it is permitted to add/remove cards from the main deck to the sideboard (or vice versa) without swapping them for the same amount of cards, as long as the main deck contains more than 60 and the sideboard less than 15.
- Indestructible becomes a keyword.
- "*this creature* is unblockable" is removed and aligned with other effects to "*this creature* can't be blocked".
- The rules for playing additional lands off of effects like Explore are streamlined.
Magic 2014 has six cycles:
- Planeswalkers: There are five mythic rare Planeswalker cards in the set — Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Jace, Memory Adept, Liliana of the Dark Realms, Chandra, Pyromaster and Garruk, Caller of Beasts.
- Planeswalkers creatures: Each Planeswalker has at creature card named after them. — Ajani's Chosen, Jace's Mindseeker, Liliana's Reaver, Chandra's Phoenix, Garruk's Horde
- Wizard Staves: Each of these uncommon artifacts costs and has an ability that allows its controller to gain one life whenever a spell or land of the appropriate color is played. — Staff of the Sun Magus, Staff of the Mind Magus, Staff of the Death Magus, Staff of the Flame Magus and Staff of the Wild Magus.
- Iconic mythics — Archangel of Thune, Windreader Sphinx, Shadowborn Demon, Scourge of Valkas and Kalonian Hydra
- Rare color hate creatures — Fiendslayer Paladin, Tidebinder Mage, Lifebane Zombie, Mindsparker and Witchstalker,
- Rare slivers: Each color gets one rare sliver. — Bonescythe Sliver, Galerider Sliver, Megantic Sliver, Syphon Sliver, Thorncaster Sliver:
- Dark Favor and Divine Favor are both common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness and are illustrated by Allen Williams.
- Elvish Mystic is a functional reprint of Llanowar Elves from Limited Edition Alpha and Fyndhorn Elves from Ice Age .
The intro packs are:
|Intro pack name||Foil rare|
|Psychic Labyrinth||□||■||Jace's Mindseeker|
|Death Reaper||■||■||Liliana's Reaver|
|Fire Surge||■||■||Chandra's Phoenix|
|Bestial Strength||■||■||Garruk's Horde|
Each intro pack includes an appropriate card from the Wizard Stave cycle above.
Magic 2014 has one event deck. 
|Event deck name|
|Rush of the Wild||■||■|
Cards added to Magic 2014
Cards removed from Magic 2013
- Magic rings of Shandalar: — Ring of Thune, Ring of Evos Isle, Ring of Xathrid, Ring of Valkas, and Ring of Kalonia
- Sedge creatures: — Prized Elephant, Arctic Aven, Harbor Bandit, Crimson Muckwader, and Flinthoof Boar.
- Taplands: — Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag and Sunpetal Grove. This will be the first core set since 4th Edition without a series of dual type lands in it.
- ↑ Design and development teams are officially referred to as "Initial Concept and Game Design" and "Final Game Design and Development" teams, respectively. Although these names had previously been in use at Wizards of the Coast, this announcement was the first to use them. -Mark Rosewater "What prompted the change in departmental titles for announcement articles, as seen in today’s M14 article?", Blogatog, Tumblr. (January 7, 2013.)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Monty Ashley. (January 7, 2013.) "Announcing the Magic 2014 Core Set", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Matt Tabak. (May 23, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Core Set Rules Preview", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Sam Stoddard. (May 23, 2013.) "Legendary Rule Change", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Trick Jarrett. (July 24, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Event Deck", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.