|Mark Globus (lead),|
|Tom LaPille (lead),|
|July 15, 2011|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
|Magic 2011||Magic 2012||Magic 2013|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Commander||Magic 2012||From the Vault: Legends|
Magic: The Gathering 2012 Core Set (Magic 2012) is a Core Set which was released on July 15, 2011. The worldwide Prerelease events took place July 9-10, 2011, and Launch Parties took place July 15-18, 2011.
A promotional version of Bloodlord of Vaasgoth was given out to players at the Prerelease event. The promotional card for the launch party was Garruk's Horde. Both cards are new to the set. Besides booster packs; Magic 2012 is also sold in "Booster Battle Pack"s  which contain 2 20-card semi-randomized decks, 2 booster packs, a Magic "learn to play" guide and a rules insert.
Mechanics and themes
Magic 2012, like Magic 2011 before it, changes the terminology of the game by introducing the word "dies" officially to the Magic terminology, replacing the phrase "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield". The word "dies" was a slang term for this occurrence, with or without a trigger, before this change.
It also introduces a new keyword in Hexproof, which is similar to Shroud except the controller of the permanent can still target it. This ability used to be colloquially referred to as "Troll Shroud" in reference to Troll Ascetic, one of the first and most popular cards with that mechanic.
The keyword Bloodthirst returns after its initial appearance in Guildpact and a small cameo in Future Sight. Unlike its appearance in Guildpact, Bloodthirst is particularly focused in black on its Vampire tribe.
The set also saw the return of Planeswalkers, though it wasn't restricted to the original Lorwyn 'walkers as Gideon Jura and Sorin Markov had cards in the set. For the first time, new (three) Planeswalker cards were made for a core set. Like in Magic 2011, these planeswalkers had a number of cards referencing to them.
- 3/3 Beast produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 3/3 Flying Bird produced by Roc Egg.
- 1/1 Artifact Pentavite with Flying produced by Pentavus.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Jade Mage and Druidic Satchel.
- 1/1 Soldier produced by Timely Reinforcements and Throne of Empires.
- 6/6 Wurm produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Cemetery Reaper, Zombie Infestation, and Grave Titan.
Tips & Tricks
M12 does not have the traditional tips & tricks cards, these are printed landscape format and do not have any numbering to them at all. They reference the following subjects: bloodthirst, booster draft, casual formats, colors of expansion symbols, decks work best when they're about 40% land and 25-40% creatures, drawing a card when the library is empty means losing the game, gatherer, hexproof, limited format, minimum deck size and playing with only 4 of any one card, planeswalkers (2 different card wordings). The back side has an advertisement: Commander, magicthegathering.com, M12 Intro Packs, Magic Online, swagdog.com, Ultra Pro products, www.wizards.com/locator
The Magic 2012 core set introduces the wording shortcut "dies." The word "dies" on a Magic card simply means "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield." The two phrases are interchangeable. Similarly, the word "died" means "was put into a graveyard from the battlefield."
The term "dies" is used only if a creature is moving from the battlefield to a graveyard and only if the effect doesn't care which player's graveyard the creature is put into. (The complete phrase "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" is used if the object is likely to have a different card type.)
Many older cards will be updated in the Oracle card reference to use this new term. This is not a functional change.
Magic 2012 has the following cycles:
- Color Hosers: Each of these uncommon cards is specifically designed to be played against its enemy colors — Celestial Purge, Flashfreeze, Deathmark, Combust and Autumn's Veil. (Reprinted from Magic 2011.)
- Taplands: Each of these rare dual lands comes into play tapped unless you control a land of one of the appropriate types — Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag and Sunpetal Grove. (Reprinted from Magic 2011.)
- Titans: Each of these mythic rare giants is a 6/6 for 4CC and has a powerful ability that triggers whenever it enters the battlefield or attacks — Sun Titan, Frost Titan, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan and Primeval Titan. (Reprinted from Magic 2011.)
- Mages: 2/1 human wizard creatures for 2 mana with an activated ability involving one mana of a color. Each creature has a flavor text describing a creed of a clan of wizards, with names synonymous to the respective color. — Alabaster Mage, Azure Mage, Onyx Mage, Crimson Mage, Jade Mage
- Planeswalkers: There are five mythic rare Planeswalker cards in the set — Gideon Jura; Jace, Memory Adept; Sorin Markov; Chandra, the Firebrand; and Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- Planeswalker Rares: Every Planeswalkers gets a Rare card referencing to them and working in conjunction with them. Gideon's Avenger, Jace's Archivist, Sorin's Vengeance, Chandra's Phoenix, and Garruk's Horde.
- Planeswalker Commons: Five commons that reference their respective planeswalkers in the name. — Gideon's Lawkeeper, Jace's Erasure, Sorin's Thirst, Chandra's Outrage, and Garruk's Companion.
- "Lucky charms" artifacts: Each of these uncommon artifacts costs and has an ability that allows its controller to gain one life whenever a spell of the appropriate color is played — Angel's Feather, Demon's Horn, Dragon's Claw, Kraken's Eye and Wurm's Tooth. (Reprinted from Darksteel.)
- "Artifact of Empires": Each of these artifacts have an activated ability that produces an even more powerful effect if you control all 3 of these artifacts — Crown of Empires, Scepter of Empires, and Throne of Empires.
Magic 2012 has two mirrored pairs.
- Dark Favor and Divine Favor are both common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness and are illustrated by Allen Williams.
- Greatsword and Kite Shield are both uncommon Artifact - Equipment which have the same Equip cost of and give the equipped creature +3/+0 or +0/+3 power/toughness.
- Gideon's Lawkeeper is a functional reprint of Goldmeadow Harrier, save for creature type.
- Skywinder Drake is a functional reprint of Cloud Spirit and Rishadan Airship, save for creature type.
- Drifting Shade is a functional reprint of Dungeon Shade.
- Bonebreaker Giant is a functional reprint of Obsidian Giant and Fomori Nomad.
- Trollhide is a functional reprint of Savage Silhouette.
The intro packs are:
|Intro pack name||Foil rare|
|Sacred Assault||□||■||Aegis Angel|
|Mystical Might||□||■||Sphinx of Uthuun|
|Grab For Power||■||■||Rune-Scarred Demon|
|Blood And Fire||■||■||Flameblast Dragon|
|Entangling Webs||■||■||Arachnus Spinner|
|Event deck name|
Cards added to Magic 2012
Cards removed from Magic 2011
- The Leylines cycle consisting of Leyline of Sanctity, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of the Void, Leyline of Punishment and Leyline of Vitality which are rare enchantments that cost plus 2 mana of the appropriate color. Each can start the game in play if it is in a player's opening hand.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Monty Ashley". (Monday, January 03, 2011.) "Announcing Magic 2012", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ "Monty Ashley". (Thursday, June 23, 2011.) "Announcing Booster Battle Packs", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Monty Ashley, Magic Arcana. (June 13, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Sample Decks", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.