Journey into Nyx
|Journey into Nyx|
|Combination of an altar and the Horns of Xenagos|
|Ethan Fleischer (lead)  |
|David Humpherys (lead)|
|May 2, 2014|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
|Constellation, Strive, Bestow, Heroic, Inspired, Scry, Monstrosity and Devotion|
|165 cards |
(60 commons, 60 uncommons, 35 rares, 10 mythic rares)
Development code name
|Theros block sets|
|Theros||Born of the Gods||Journey into Nyx|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska||Journey into Nyx||Modern Event Deck|
|“||Rival the Gods||”|
Like its predecessors, Journey into Nyx has a ancient Greek themed top-down design, making use of many mythological tropes. The set contains 165 cards (60 Common, 60 Uncommon, 35 Rare, 10 Mythic) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The set introduces the Lamia creature type.
Flavor and storyline
The plane of Theros is in chaos. Gods and mortals are pitted against each other, and terrifying monsters stalk the land. Heroes strive for glory while new and terrifying constellations take shape in the night sky.
Journey into Nyx will be sold in 15-card boosters, five intro packs, one event deck and a fat pack.  The 15-card boosters feature artwork from Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, Pharika, God of Affliction and Cyclops of Eternal Fury . The set features the continuation of the Hero's Path.
Quest 7 on the Hero's Path takes place at the Journey into Nyx Prerelease events, April 26 and 27, 2014. Players will forge a Godslayer based on a favorite mana color and receive a Seeded Prerelease Pack based on that color (Forged in Glory , Intellect , Tyranny , War or Pursuit ). The Prerelease Pack contains a Spindown Life Counter, one of five Hero Equipment cards (respectively Spear of the General, Cloak of the Philosopher, Lash of the Tyrant, Axe of the Warmonger Bow of the Hunter), one of five quiz activity cards, five Theros block boosters, and a seeded booster featuring cards appropriate for that player's chosen path — including one of the five Prerelease promo cards. During the prerelease, players have the opportunity to win three mystical components, represented by reward stickers. These in turn give access to an "enhancement sticker" which may be used to upgrade the Hero Equipment card, thus forging one the most powerful weapons on Theros: a customized Godslayer.
Journey into Nyx launches May 2-4, 2014 and the month's first Friday Night Magic starts off the festivities. Players on the Hero's Path come to their stores to "Journey into Nyx" and solve a puzzle hidden within the poster included in the Journey into Nyx Launch Weekend kit. Players who solve the puzzle receive a copy of the Quest 8 Hero Card (The Destined).
On May 24-25, 2014 Journey into Nyx Game Day players can use their Standard decks for the ninth quest on the Hero's Path: Defeat a God, a special Challenge Deck provided to the retailer. By winning against the Challenge deck, players win a ninth Hero card (The Champion). Players will be able to use three of the Hero Cards they have collected and the Godslayer that they forged at the Prerelease to complete this final quest of the Hero's Path!
- Prerelease, one of five according to the chosen Godslayer: Dawnbringer Charioteers, Scourge of Fleets, Doomwake Giant, Spawn of Thraxes or Heroes' Bane 
- Launch promo: Dictate of the Twin Gods
- Game Day: full-art Squelching Leeches
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art foil Dictate of Cruphix
- Buy-a-Box: Eidolon of Blossoms
- Completing the Hero's Path: Hall of Triumph
A sixteenth card in the boosters can be a token creature card, with advertisements on the back side:
Themes and mechanics
Journey into Nyx has an heavy team of "enchantments matter", which was pushed deliberately pushed to the third set of the block.  The keywords Bestow, Heroic, Scry, Monstrosity, Inspired and Devotion returned from the previous sets (with monstrosity skipping one set).   Two new keywords were added: constellation and strive. Enchantments with constellation abilities represent the divine constellations that fill the night sky.  An enchantment's constellation ability triggers every time it or another enchantment enters the battlefield under the player's control. Most of the enchantments with constellation abilities are enchantment creatures, but not all of them. A spell with a strive ability lets you pump more mana into it to increase the number of targets. 
- Fonts: Five common enchantments with an activated ability that sacrifices it — Font of Vigor, Font of Fortunes, Font of Return, Font of Ire, Font of Fertility.
- Gods: five multicolored mythic rare legendary enchantment creatures that each embody one of the gods of Theros. Each card has a low casting cost, but is not a creature until your Devotion to their two colors is 7 or more. They are all indestructible — Athreos, God of Passage, Keranos, God of Storms, Pharika, God of Affliction, Iroas, God of Victory, and Kruphix, God of Horizons.
- Dictates: five rare enchantments with flash and a double-colored mana cost — Dictate of Heliod, Dictate of Kruphix, Dictate of Erebos, Dictate of the Twin Gods, Dictate of Karametra.
- Downside Bestow creatures: five uncommon creatures with bestow and a downside ability. — Sightless Brawler, Crystalline Nautilus, Gnarled Scarhide, Mogis's Warhound, and Spirespine. 
- Bladetusk Boar was first printed in Zendikar and last seen in Magic 2013
- Magma Spray was first printed in Shards of Alara and last seen in Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari
- Reprisal was first printed in Alliances and last seen in Duel Decks: Knights vs. Dragons
- Riddle of Lightning was first printed in Future Sight
- Banishing Light is a functional reprint of Oblivion Ring, except for the use of the new "exile until" template
- Brain Maggot is a functional reprint of Mesmeric Fiend, except for the use of the new "exile until" template and for being an Enchantment Creature.
- Oreskos Swiftclaw is a functional reprint of Blade of the Sixth Pride, except for types
- Pensive Minotaur is a functional reprint of Minotaur Warrior
- Pharika's Chosen is a functional reprint of Typhoid Rats, except for types
- Satyr Grovedancer is a functional reprint of Ironshell Beetle and Timberland Guide, except for types
Creature enchantment functional reprints
- Eidolon of Rhetoric is a creature enchantment version of Rule of Law
- Eidolon of the Great Revel is a creature enchantment version of Pyrostatic Pillar
- Hypnotic Siren is a creature enchantment version of Control Magic and Mind Control
- Mogis's Warhound is a creature enchantment version of Furor of the Bitten
- Nyx-fleece Ram is a creature enchantment version of Ajani's Mantra
Strictly better or worse
- Lagonna-Band Trailblazer is strictly better than Yoked Ox
- Felhide Petrifier is strictly better than Felhide Minotaur
- ↑ Ethan Fleischer. (April 07, 2014.) "My Journey", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Trick Jarrett. (November 11, 2013.) "Announcing Journey into Nyx", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Wizards of the Coast. (April, 2014.) "Journey into Nyx Credits", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Trick Jarrett. ( April 08, 2014.) "Journey into Nyx Packaging", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Trick Jarrett. (April 09, 2014.) "Journey into Nyx Promos", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Sam Stoddard. (April 11, 2014.) "A Matter of Structure", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Kelly Digges. (April 07, 2014.) "Mechanics of Journey into Nyx", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Dave Humpherys. (April 14, 2014.) "A Developmental Journey", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (April 07, 2014.) "The Incredible Journey, Part 1", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ April 14, 2014. "Mark Rosewater", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Marshall Sutcliffe. (April 09, 2014.) "Bestow the Line", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.