Grixis is one of five shards of Alara. It is primarily black-aligned, with blue and red as secondary colors. Due to the predominance of undeath, it is possible to find undead versions of Bant's leotaus and Jund's viashinos in Grixis. Before Grixis split off from the mega-plane of Alara, things were different. White and green mana still flourished there. The land was called Vithia, a white-aligned empire of humans and other races, a land proud of its dynasty of wise and honorable monarchs.
Grixis features a vast wasteland known as the Dregscape which is dominated by demons, horrors, necromancers and other forms of undead. The few living humans take shelter in hidden cities known as hermitages while the mutated ogres, known as incurables, dwell high in the mountains. The kathari occupy the islands out to sea.
- Boneheaps, the dumping grounds of the Kathari.
- Dregscape, a swamp of decaying corpses.
- Droning Isles, the massive hives of banewasps.
- Kederekt, a necropolis of undead-afflicted, half-sunken manor houses near a greasy sea.
- Sedraxis, once the shining capital of Vithia, now the greatest necropolis on the plane.
- Torchlight, the greatest hermitage of living beings.
- Unx, a necropolis most well known for the massive dragon skeleton that circles the city. It was once a grand stadium.
- Eliza of the Keep
- Nefarox, overlord of Grixis
- Sedris, the Vithian traitor king
- Grixis is the ancient Vithian word for traitor.
- "Magic Arcana". (August 14, 2008.) "Shard Preview: Grixis", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian. (September 12, 2008.) "The Specter of the Present", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (September 24, 2008.) "Alive and Unwell", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Expansions: Shards of Alara | Conflux | Alara Reborn|
|Shards: Bant | Esper | Grixis | Jund | Naya|
|Characters: Ajani | Elspeth Tirel | Nicol Bolas | Sarkhan Vol | Tezzeret|
|Others: Etherium | Jazal | Kathari | Leotau | Maelstrom|