|Aaron Forsythe (lead)|
|Matt Place (lead)|
|May 5, 2006|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
(60 commons, 60 uncommons, 60 rares)
Development code name
|Ravnica block sets|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds||Guildpact||Dissension|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Dissension is the thirty-eighth Magic: The Gathering expansion, and was released in May 2006 as the third and final set of the Ravnica block. It has 180 cards — 15 more than normal for a small set — to make room for a reappearance of the split cards. The prerelease events for this set were held on April 22-23, 2006.
Mechanics and themes
|Azorius Senate||Grand Arbiter Augustin IV||Forecast|
|Simic Combine||Momir Vig, Simic Visionary||Graft|
|Cult of Rakdos||Rakdos the Defiler||Hellbent|
The following creature types are used in this expansion but also appear in previous sets: Advisor, Archer, Assassin, Avatar, Basilisk, Beast, Berserker, Bird, Cat, Centaur, Cleric, Demon, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Druid, Elemental, Elf, Faerie, Frog, Gargoyle, Goblin, Golem, Griffin, Horror, Hydra, Imp, Knight, Leviathan, Lizard, Mutant, Ogre, Ooze, Pegasus, Plant, Rat, Rogue, Scout, Shade, Shaman, Snake, Soldier, Sphinx, Spirit, Soldier, Thrull, Troll, Vedalken, Viashino, Warrior, Wizard, Worm, Zombie.
Dissension has three cycles:
- Eidolons: Each of these 2/2 spirits, each with a converted mana cost of , can be sacrificed for a boon and may be returned from the graveyard to your hand whenever you play a multicolored card — Aurora Eidolon, Enigma Eidolon, Entropic Eidolon, Sandstorm Eidolon, and Verdant Eidolon.
- Uncommon split cards: All of these split cards are centered around one color and each side represents an allied-colored pair with that color. Pure/Simple, Trial/Error, Supply/Demand, Rise/Fall, and Hit/Run.
- Rare split cards: All of these split cards are centered around one color and each side represents an enemy-colored pair with that color. Research/Development, Bound/Determined, Odds/Ends, Hide/Seek, and Crime/Punishment.
- Guildpact Spirits: Guardian of the Guildpact and Enemy of the Guildpact are two spirits, one white and one black, with protection from a color quality. The Guardian had protection from monocolored spells and permanents, while the Enemy had protection from multicolored.
- Skeins: Vision Skeins and Delirium Skeins are an instant and sorcery, respectively, which affect the hand size of all players equally. Vision Skeins causes all players to draw two cards, while Delirium Skeins forces all players to discard three. Both are significantly undercosted relative to their targeted equivalents. Both are also mirrored in the artwork being the same scene, but seen from two different angles and in two different moments. Vision Skeins is the "before" moment and Delirium Skeins is the "after" moment.
The following cards have been reprinted from previous sets and included in Dissension.
- Seal of Doom — was last seen in Nemesis.
- Seal of Fire — was last seen in Nemesis.
- Thrive — was last seen in Prophecy. Thrive augmented the graft ability found in this set.
In Dissension there were three guilds so there are just three theme decks instead of the standard number; four. The preconstructed theme decks are:
|Theme deck name|