Devour is a static ability first introduced in Shards of Alara, and was also featured in Conflux, Alara Reborn and the Primordial Hunger deck of Planechase 2.
From the Comprehensive Rules:
- 702.81. Devour
- 702.81a Devour is a static ability. "Devour N" means "As this object enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it for each creature sacrificed this way."
- 702.81b Some objects have abilities that refer to the number of creatures the permanent devoured. "It devoured" means "sacrificed as a result of its devour ability as it entered the battlefield."
- Devour appears only on creature cards.
- A creature with devour can devour other creatures no matter how it comes into play.
- You may choose to not sacrifice any creatures.
- If you play a creature with devour as a spell, you choose how many and which creatures to devour as part of the resolution of that spell. (It can't be countered at this point.) The same is true of a spell or ability that lets you put a creature with devour into play.
- You may sacrifice only creatures that are already in play. If a creature with devour and another creature are coming into play under your control at the same time, the creature with devour can't devour that other creature. The creature with devour also can't devour itself.
- If multiple creatures with devour are coming into play under your control at the same time, you may use each one's devour ability. A creature you already control can be devoured by only one of them, however. (In other words, you can't sacrifice the same creature to satisfy multiple devour abilities.) All creatures devoured this way are sacrificed at the same time.
- Gorger Wurm -
Creature — Wurm
Devour 1 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
There is a total of 15 cards that involve devour, which divide by color as such:
- Red = 40 %
- Multicolor = 33 %
- Green = 20 %
- Black = 7 %
Plane card that grants Devour
- Jund (whenever a player casts a black, red, or green creature spell - devour 5)
- Devour was featured as rules card 4 of 5 in the Shards of Alara set.