|Represents a three-color "wedge" deck|
|Ken Nagle (Lead),|
|Mark Globus (Lead), |
|June 17, 2011|
Themes and mechanics
|Oversized "Commander" Cards, Join forces|
Keywords and/or ability words
|No new, many from years-past|
|Five three-color 100-card decks|
|Commander series sets|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|New Phyrexia||Commander||Magic 2012|
Commander is a set of 5 preconstructed theme decks based on the casual fan-made and maintained format of the same name (previously known as Elder Dragon Highlander) that had been around for many years. While the format is still maintained and controlled by the players, Wizards now for the first time provided a special product for it. The 5 Commander decks included some older commons and uncommons that, while not particularly valuable, were harder to find due to their age. In addition, 51 new Eternal format legal cards wee included among the 5 decks. The set was released on June 17, 2011 and each deck retails for $29.95.
The Commander product consists of five decks, each 100 cards strong, that are ready-to-play Commander decks right out of the box, with the option of choosing one of the three legendary enemy-tri-colored creatures each deck includes as the commander. None of the decks contain any cards that contain mana symbols not found on these three cards. Additionally, each deck contains one enemy-colored legend, and each deck can easily be modified to use that card as the commander by replacing all cards that have mana symbols not on that legendary creature and replace them with other cards from the players collection that conform to the Commander rules.
Each deck will also come with oversized foil versions of each of the three wedge commanders.
Commander was the first deck-based retail product to contain new and previously unreleased cards. These cards will becaome legal in the sanctioned Eternal formats Vintage and Legacy, but not in Standard or Extended, upon the sets release. Many of these cards are multiplayer themed and focus on the political interactions on the table, for example giving an effect to all opponents of a chosen player. As such, Commander also introduces a new ability word in Join forces which allows all players to get a similar effect at the same time.
An oddity about the Commander set is the card numbering. While in normal magic sets, where such cards are more prevalent, Hybrid cards are numbered to follow regular multi-colored cards. In Commander, Hybrid cards are numbered among multi-colored cards. The same is true for split cards, though Fire // Ice is the only representative of those in the set.
The ability word Join forces allows multiple players to pay mana to increase the effectiveness of the same card. Starting with the controller of the card with Join forces, each player may pay any amount of mana. Then, an effect based on the total amount of mana paid by all players occurs. All join forces cards included in the set have symmetric effects that benefit all players equally.
Commander has five cycles:
- Legendary Dragons: Each deck has a rare legendary Dragon that was first printed in Planar Chaos. These dragons have flying, a triggered ability with a cost of 2C that triggers on dealing combat damage to a player, and power/toughness of 6/6 — Oros, the Avenger; Intet, the Dreamer; Teneb, the Harvester; Numot, the Devastator; and Vorosh, the Hunter.
- Commanders: Each deck has a wedge-colored legendary creature which is the designated commander for the deck they appear in. — Kaalia of the Vast, Riku of two Reflections, Ghave, Guru of Spores, Zedruu, the Greathearted, and The Mimeoplasm.
- Wedge-color Legends: Each deck has another wedge-colored legendary creatures that can be used as an alternative commander — Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, Animar, Soul of Elements, Karador, Ghost Chieftain, Ruhan of the Fomori, and Damia, Sage of Stone.
- Enemy-Color Legends: Each deck has one enemy-color legendary creature — Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter, Nin, the Pain Artist, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave, Basandra, Battle Seraph, and Edric, Spymaster of Trest.
- Vows: Five auras that give a creature a power/toughness bonus, an evergreen keyword, and stops it from attacking the controller of the aura or a planeswalker that player controls. — Vow of Duty, Vow of Flight, Vow of Malice, Vow of Lightning, and Vow of Wildness.
- Join forces cards: All of these cards have the Join forces mechanic. With the exception of the Dragon, all of them cost 1 mana of their respective colors — Alliance of Arms, Minds Aglow, Shared Trauma, Mana-Charged Dragon, and Collective Voyage
Commander also contains a number of reprinted cycles in lands and mana-producing artifacts, though cycles are not always complete. These cycles include Ravnica Karoo lands, Signets, Onslaught Cycling lands, Lorwyn Vivid lands, Time Spiral Storage lands, Zendikar Refuges.
Commander consists of five decks:
|Theme deck name|
|Devour for Power||■||■||■|
The new cards are evenly distrubuted amongst the five decks .
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Magic Arcana". (Thursday, December 02, 2010.) "Announcing Magic: The Gathering Commander", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ "Magic Arcana". (Wednesday, April 06, 2011.) "Commander Decks", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ "Magic Arcana". (Tuesday, June 14, 2011.) "Magic: The Gathering Commander Decklists", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering Commander product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Magic: The Gathering Commander Card Image Gallery
- "Feature Article". (Thursday, December 02, 2010.) "Magic: The Gathering Commander", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Official Commander (Elder Dragon Highlander - EDH) Homepage
|Magic products · Magic: The Gathering sets · Regular Magic sets|
|Special series and sets|
|Duel Decks (list of Duel Decks sets) • From the Vault (list of From the Vault sets) • Premium Deck Series (list of Premium Deck Series decks) •"Command Zone" sets: Vanguard, Planechase, Planechase (2012), Archenemy, Commander, Commander's Arsenal, Commander 2013|
| • Box sets: Anthologies, Battle Royale, Beatdown, Deck Builder's Toolkit, Deck Builder's Toolkit 2011, Deckmasters 2001, Multiverse Gift Box, Rivals Quick Start Set, Vanguard Gift Box|
• Reprint sets: Chronicles, Modern Masters, Renaissance
• Un-sets: Unglued, Unhinged
• Commemorative sets: Collectors' Edition, International Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship Decks
• Digital sets: Astral, Sega Dreamcast Game Cards
|Magic Online sets|
|Magic Online Deck Series: Exiler, Boltslinger • Masters Editions: Masters Edition, Masters Edition II, Masters Edition III, Masters Edition IV, Vintage Masters • Other: Commander Theme Decks|