- For the Morningtide theme deck, see Battalion (preconstructed theme deck).
Battalion is an ability word introduced in Gatecrash, wherein it is the Boros Legion guild mechanic.  It gives an advantageous effect when a creature with battalion attacks alongside 2 or more other creatures. The mechanic was designed or inspired by Shawn Main, who, for the Great Designer Search 2, submitted "Assault". Dragon's Maze added 2 cards with batallion.
- The three attacking creatures don't have to be attacking the same player or planeswalker.
- Once a battalion ability has triggered, it doesn't matter how many creatures are still attacking when that ability resolves.
- The effects of battalion abilities vary from card to card. Read each card carefully.
- Firemane Avenger -
Creature — Angel
Battalion — Whenever Firemane Avenger and at least two other creatures attack, Firemane Avenger deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life.
There is a total of 13 cards that involve battalion, which divide by color as such:
- White = 38 %
- Red = 31 %
- Multicolor = 31 %
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (January 7, 2013.) "Gatecrashing the Party, Part 2", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. "First evolve and now we're getting Shawn Main's assault mechanic under the name battalion. Is RtR going to be the Great Designer Search block? :)", Blogatog, Tumblr. (December 26, 2012.)
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. "Was Battalion called attackcraft (or even Warcraft) in design?", Blogatog, Tumblr. (December 26, 2012.)